Every one of us lead a very busy life. We have many responsibilities and our to-do list is never-ending. We may feel as if we are a juggler, just trying to keep the balls up in the air, and at any moment they may all come crashing down. For this reason, it is important to be able to find balance in our lives.
“Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony.”Thomas Merton
You may not always feel it, but you have the power to create balance in your life. We all have the ability to find time to do the things we have to do, as well as the time to do the things we want to do. This means accomplishing our responsibilities but also doing things that bring us pleasure and fulfillment. It starts with looking within yourself at your priorities.
The different areas of our lives that we need to balance include:
- Physical: Keeping our bodies healthy and strong. Get enough sleep.
- Mental: Never stop learning and stretching your brain. Read!
- Emotional: Learn to manage stress. Meditate and practice mindfulness.
- Social: Stay connected to family and friends. Make new friends.
- Work/Financial: Know your strengths and do your best at your job. Live within your means.
- Spiritual: Religion, art, philosophy, and creativity are all part of our spiritual beings.
If we focus too much on one area, then we risk neglecting another one. This is the challenge in balancing our lives. We must invest time and energy in all areas to feel fulfillment in life. This does not mean that every day you need to spend the same amount of time on specific tasks or that you always give equal attention to every area. Instead, balance means taking time daily for practices that help keep you centered while making sure you are aware of the importance of every aspect of your life.
“Balance, peace, and joy are the fruit of a successful life. It starts with recognizing your talents and finding ways to serve others by using them.”Thomas Kinkade
Some of these areas may be a natural strength for you while others are more challenging. Each person will have different experiences in learning to balance their life.
Some hints on how to find balance:
- Accept that there is limited time, money, and energy for you to expend.
- Recognize the things you can control and don’t waste time on the things you cannot control.
- Just say “No” – you cannot be everywhere all the time. Prioritize the important events.
- Use a planner to schedule time for yourself.
- Live with purpose!
“We come into this world head first and go out feet first; in between, it is all a matter of balance.”Paul Boese
Be aware of the signs that your life may be becoming out of balance and take the necessary steps to bring it back into equilibrium. Never lose hope and continue to learn new things throughout your life. Remember, “Life is the journey, not the destination.”