I like to think of myself as an open-minded person, as I think most people would. Truthfully, I have some strong views on certain things and I need to remind myself to think of the other side of the story from time to time. This can sometimes be difficult.
Truth is, I’ll never know all there is to know about you just as you will never know all there is to know about me. Humans are by nature too complicated to be understood fully. So, we can choose either to approach our fellow human beings with suspicion or to approach them with an open mind, a dash of optimism and a great deal of candor.Tom Hanks
Most of us are raised with certain beliefs and values and, throughout our lives, tend to surround ourselves with people who share the same beliefs. Therefore, it can be difficult when we’re faced with ideas that differ from our own. I believe that having strong beliefs is a positive thing and I believe we should all stay true to what we believe in, but having strong beliefs doesn’t have to mean having a closed mind to what other people believe.
An open mind leaves a chance for someone to drop a worthwhile thought in it.Mark Twain
Reasons why it is important to have an open mind:
- Learn to think critically and rationally
- Step outside your comfort zone and think of other’s perspectives
- Being able to change outdated beliefs leads to personal growth
- You free yourself from being in total control of your thoughts
- You make yourself vulnerable by admitting you don’t know everything
- Learn compassion for other people’s view points
- You become mentally stronger by opening to new experiences
- Gain confidence as you learn more about the world around you
Minds are like parachutes – they only function when open.Thomas Dewar
Learning to become open-minded takes some practice. For most of us it is not a natural state and may be a little challenging at first. The truth is, however, that it is worth every effort you put in. You will unlock your life to new possibilities and ideas if you are only open to it.
In today’s climate in our country and even the world, it is imperative that we all learn to live with an open mind. We need to be accepting of each other and hopeful for the possibilities of the future. This year has been so difficult on so many levels and we are all ready to move forward to a brighter future.