George Herman “Babe” Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Most people know him for his home-run record. He scored 714 career home runs, a record that lasted almost 40 years until on April 8, 1974, Hank Aaron’s fourth-inning home run gave him 715 for his career and sent him past Babe Ruth on baseball’s all-time list.
What you may not know, however, is that for many years, Babe Ruth was known as the King of Strikeouts. He was known for his all or nothing batting style. He led the American League in strikeouts five times and accumulated 1,330 of them in his career.
What lesson is there to be learned in this? I think the lesson is to never give up. All of have “slip-ups” and make mistakes along the way. It is part of being human. The important thing is to get right back up there and swing at the next pitch.
You just can’t beat the person who never gives up.Babe Ruth
Reasons Why You Should Never Give Up:
- Don’t Sell Yourself Short: Your goals are important and you should do all you can to attain them.
- You Have Everything You Need: Feeling anxious and uncertain is okay.
- You Don’t Want To Have Regrets: Life goes buy quickly and you need to take advantage of every day and opportunity.
- Success May Be Just Ahead: The only failure is when you give up. Success feels incredible!
- You Are Strong: Give yourself the credit you deserve and hang in there.
- You Deserve Happiness and Success: Give yourself positive “self-talk” that you are worth it.
- Failure Is Normal: Everyone has to get through tough times and failures to achieve their dreams.
- It Is Always Darkest Before The Dawn: Be persistent and stay strong.
Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.Babe Ruth
Especially during these difficult times in the pandemic, we may feel like we have nothing left to give, and no matter how hard we try, we keep hitting road blocks that seem to hold us back. The truth is, if we can overcome the obstacles presented to us and keep pushing through the bad times, we will find the success within ourselves to create something worthwhile.
You never know when your successes will come. They may be right around the corner. Don’t listen to the negative voice inside your head but instead, listen to the voice telling you that you are amazing and can accomplish anything you set out to do. Don’t give up on your dreams.
Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.Babe Ruth