Tolerance is an important concept that helps people to live together peacefully. To be tolerant means that you accept other people’s opinions, lifestyles, and preferences. This extends to a person’s religious beliefs, person they love, and color of their skin. Tolerance also means that you don’t put your opinions above those of others, even when you are sure that you are right. Tolerant people show restraint and open mindedness in that they can deal with different opinions and perspectives.
Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.Robert Green Ingersoll
Being tolerant of each other and caring for each other is what makes us human. By teaching tolerance, we allow individuality and diversity while promoting peace. Our success in the challenge to become tolerant is dependent on the effort we put forth to enlighten ourselves and our children. The more open we are, the more tolerant we will become.
Every person of every religion has an obligation to confirm the meaning of tolerance. In fact, tolerance is a major belief within religion; however, it is not always practiced. Many people within many religions have, throughout history, and continue to this day, practiced intolerance in order to gain personal or secular power.
In the practice of tolerance, one’s enemy is the best teacher.Dalai Lama
Ways to Promote Peace and Tolerance in Our World
- Commit yourself to nonviolence. Don’t allow yourself to get involved in any physical altercation.
- Offer to help someone in need.
- Teach children tolerance. Be a good example when you see someone homeless, disabled or unique in any way.
- Don’t let fear stop you from speaking your truth.
- Whenever you feel angry and prone to lash out, count to five before saying anything.
- Practice compassion toward others.
- Try volunteering in an area that you need more exposure and growth.
- Say hello to people you pass on the street. You never know how important your kind words can be for someone else.
We all have our unique characteristics and personalities that make us different from each other. More people from different nations, cultures, religions and lifestyles are working together and living in the same neighborhoods than ever before. Those characteristics, qualities and attributes are what make us unique and interesting. Keep an open mind and take advantage of this opportunity to learn tolerance for others.
The need of the moment is not one religion, but mutual respect and tolerance of the devotees of the different religions.Mahatma Gandhi