To be living is to be growing. Personal growth is the ongoing process of understanding and developing oneself in order to achieve one’s fullest potential. Personal development is a vital part in a person’s growth, maturity, success and happiness. Personal growth has a profound effect on every single aspect of our life.
Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead.Morihei Ueshiba
Personal growth can change the way you think about your work and increase your chances of getting ahead. Personal growth can help you grow emotionally and mentally to become a more loving, sympathetic, and positive person.
Personal growth and development provides us with both the incentive and the means to become the best possible version of ourselves. Paradoxically, as our personal growth expands, we become less self-centered and we begin to notice the needs of those around us.
Working on personal growth is quite easy and starts with the smallest of choices. Choose to do something kind for yourself and/or someone else. Notice the changes in your thoughts and attitudes after doing any of the following activities:
- Listen to music that makes you feel good, and try dancing to it.
- Open a door for someone.
- Quiet your mind for 5 minutes and focus on your breathing.
- Take a walk in nature.
- Say “thank you” and give a smile.
- Get organized: Clean out a drawer, a file, your car, etc.
- Offer someone else to go ahead of you.
- Make a healthier food choice and notice how it affects you.
- Ask someone how they are and truly listen with your whole heart.
- Give someone else the benefit of the doubt. Until you have walked in their shoes, you cannot know if you would do better.
As we grow on a personal level, we begin to feel more passionate about life in general. We are naturally more motivated because learning and growing add motivation and a sense of excitement.
Life is all about growth and change. It’s not static. It’s not about some destination.Bill Burnett
Personal growth and self-development are undeniably some of the most important activities you can do. Rather than considering this a selfish act, working on yourself to become a better person benefits those around you, as well as those in your community and workplace. Your life is made up of a series of moments. If you live intentionally in the present moment, you will begin to experience the joy and happiness you seek.