Conflict can happen when friends, co-workers, or family members have different views or beliefs that are incompatible with our own. Sometimes conflict can occur when people misunderstand each other and jump to the wrong conclusion. Issues of conflict that are not resolved peacefully can lead to arguments and resentment so it is important to face these situations.
Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.William Ellery Channing
There are many reasons why ignoring areas of conflict is not a good idea. Unresolved conflict may cause increased stress and anxiety among individuals. You may experience a decrease in productivity and satisfaction in your job. You may experience feelings of being defeated and demeaned, which can lower your self-esteem.
It is normal to disagree with each other from time to time. Occasional conflict is part of every relationship. However, ongoing conflict can be stressful and damaging to relationships. Communicating in a positive way can help reduce conflict so that family members can reach a peaceful resolution. This usually means that everyone agrees to a compromise or agrees to disagree.
Ways to reach an amiable solution to conflict:
- Try to stay calm.
- Try to put emotions aside.
- Don’t interrupt the other person while they are speaking.
- Actively listen to what they are saying and what they mean.
- Check that you understand them by asking questions.
- Communicate your side of the story clearly and honestly.
Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means.Ronald Reagan
Try and remain open-minded and remember, no-one is ever always right. Once both parties understand the views and feelings of the other, you can work out a solution together.
- Come up with as many possible solutions as you can.
- Be willing to compromise.
- Make sure everyone clearly understands the chosen solution.
- Once the solution is decided on, stick to it.
- Write it down as a contract or agreement, if necessary.
It is never easy facing conflict with our loved ones. The truth is, though, that we feel the conflict even if we don’t choose to admit it outwardly. It is the only path to emotional and mental health in a relationship and, therefore, the benefits outweigh the risks.