Our ego is our sense of self-esteem or self-importance. Every one of us has an ego. Some egos are big and some are small. Our ego will help define who we are and how we relate to other people. Our ego is vital to our very makeup.
There’s no ego when you’re a ukulele player.Jake Shimabukuro
Many times we think of having a big ego as a negative quality. The truth is that in order to accomplish what we want in this world, we need to have a healthy ego. We need to have a healthy sense of self-importance to be able to achieve our life goals.
Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.Colin Powell
Here are 5 things you can do to boost your ego:
- Nourish it: In order for anything to grow it has to be placed in an environment that is conducive to growth. Read books or articles on ways to improve your ego. Listen to self-esteem audiobooks. Whatever it takes to raise your self-confidence is worth it.
- Quit your bad habits: We need to break the bad habit of thinking poorly about ourselves. Many of us have been raised with criticism of our every action. We can overcome this if we are patient and persistent.
When it comes to breaking old habits and starting new ones, remember to be patient with yourself. If you’ve spent twenty, thirty, or forty years or more repeating the behaviors you’re now trying to change, you’ve got to expect it’s going to take time and effort before you see lasting results .Darren Hardy
- Get a pet: According to the research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology pet ownership has been shown to increase self-confidence, combat loneliness, boost physical activity, and instill a sense of responsibility that is truly rewarding. It may also have something to do with the unconditional love of a pet that helps boost our ego.
- Improve your appearance: Exercising, eating well, and getting enough sleep play an important role in helping you to feel better about yourself. When you feel strong and healthy, your self-esteem is bound to improve.
- Walk the walk and talk the talk: When you have a strong ego, it will be reflected by the way you walk into a room. The same can be said of the words that come out of your mouth. Sometimes you have to fake it till you make it. Watch a successful person with a well-developed ego walk into a meeting and notice the posture and self-assuredness.
If you want to be successful, you need to be comfortable in your own skin. Picture yourself as successful in whatever life goals you set. Your strong ego will become a model for others to emulate in their own lives.