Enjoying the little things in life involves focusing our attention on what is pleasurable, nurturing, and sustaining in our lives and away from those events that are annoying, frustrating, or hurtful. It means practicing gratitude for those everyday things that are easy to take for granted or miss altogether.
In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.Khalil Gibran
10 Ways of Enjoying the Little Things in Life
- Appreciate the little things in your home.
- Pay attention to your experiences with food.
- Be thankful for the little things in your relationships.
- Enjoy the small things with children.
- Notice the little things in nature.
- Recognize the details when listening to music.
- Pay attention to the comfort and feeling of your clothes.
- Savor the process of just breathing.
- Appreciate the pleasures of connecting with others.
- 10.Realize the joy in resting.
Always wanting more instead of enjoying the simple things we already have can lead to a very unsatisfying life. While working toward attaining goals and dreams is beneficial, an unquenchable desire to have more can leave you feeling dissatisfied and resentful. Continually striving to get further ahead removes you from joy and gratitude in the present moment.
Every day we have plenty of opportunities to get angry, stressed or offended. But what you’re doing when you indulge these negative emotions is giving something outside yourself power over your happiness. You can choose to not let little things upset you.Joel Osteen
This type of mindset removes the focus from what you have and puts it on thoughts of lack. However, being mindful allows you to see the good in appreciating the little things happening around you right now. The ability to appreciate the small things can upgrade your life in a big way. There is reason to celebrate the small things and be grateful every day with just a slight shift in perspective.